Welcome back! I realized recently that in the Low Carb Food section, there are write ups on both Peanut Butter, and Blueberries, but no recipes for these delicious Super Foods. OK, maybe peanut butter doesn’t qualify as a Super Food, but if you are interested in growing your muscles, then this is a must read. If anti-aging amongst other incredible health benefits is more your thing, then the blueberry article is one of the berry articles you need to read. Alright, that’s enough links to keep you from getting bored I’m hoping, so on to the recipes.
Homemade Spicy Peanut Butter
-1½ c. unsalted roasted peanuts
-1 tbsp. peanut oil
– 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (to your taste) or omit if you don’t want spicy
For smooth peanut butter:
- Mix the peanuts with the peanut oil, and pour the mixture into the food processor.
- Process the mixture until it’s very smooth. Add desired amount of cayenne.
- Store your smooth peanut butter in a sealed container in the fridge. It will be good for 2 weeks.
For chunky peanut butter:
- Take about ¼ cup out of your 1½ cups of peanuts and set them aside.
- Mix the rest of the peanuts with the oil, and pour the mixture into the food processor. Add desired amount of cayenne.
- Process the mixture until it’s very smooth, then stir in the peanuts that you had set aside.
- Process a few seconds more to create the chunks in your chunky peanut butter.
- Store your chunky peanut butter in a sealed container in the fridge. It will be good for 2 weeks.
Peanut Butter Broccoli
1/4 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter
2 tablespoons hot water
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
1/4 cup sliced green onions
1 clove garlic, crushed
1. Combine peanut butter, hot water, lime juice, soy sauce, sesame oil and red pepper flakes until well blended. Set aside.
2. Heat vegetable oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli, red pepper, green onions and garlic. Stir-fry 3 – 4 minutes until vegetables are tender-crisp.
3. Remove from heat and stir in peanut butter mixture.
Serve warm or at room temperature.
Curry Chicken with Peanut Sauce
-1 clove garlic, minced
-2 tsp curry paste or powder
-1/4 cup yoghurt
-1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
-1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
-Salt and pepper, to taste
Zesty Peanut Sauce
-3/4 cup yoghurt
-1 clove garlic, minced
-1 tsp minced gingerroot or 1/4 tsp ground ginger
-1/4 tsp hot pepper flakes
-1/3 cup peanut butter
-2 tsp soy sauce
-1/2 tsp grated lime zest
In a shallow dish, whisk together garlic, curry paste, yoghurt and lime juice. Cut chicken into strips, each about 1/2-inch thick. Place chicken in marinade in dish, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 min or for up to 24 hrs.
Preheat broiler, or barbecue to medium-high. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Broil or grill for about 10 min, turning once, or until no longer pink inside.
Zesty Peanut Sauce
In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup of the yoghurt, garlic, ginger and hot pepper flakes; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and boil gently, stirring often, for 3 min, until slightly reduced. Remove from heat; let bubbles subside.
Whisk in peanut butter until melted then whisk in remaining yoghurt, soy sauce and lime zest. Serve over chicken.
Peanut Butter Pumpkin Mousse
2 cups canned pumpkin
2 cups creamy peanut butter
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1 cup yoghurt
Coat a skillet or small saucepan with cooking spray and cook pumpkin for 3-4 minutes, stirring constantly. Let cool.
With a hand mixer, combine pumpkin and peanut butter. Add maple syrup and beat on high. Add whipping cream and beat on high speed for 3-5 minutes until light and fluffy. Spoon into serving dishes and chill for at least one hour.
Peanut Butter Banana Mousse
3/4 cup mashed, ripe banana
3/4 cup creamy peanut butter
8 oz. yoghurt
Beat mashed banana and peanut butter together until smooth. Fold in yoghurt until thoroughly combined. Divide into dishes and refrigerate for 1 – 2 hours before serving.
Recipe for Low Carb Blueberry Frittata
-1/2 lb blueberries (about 2 pints)
-2 tbsp coconut oil
-1/3 cup yoghurt
-1 tsp vanilla
-1/4 tsp salt
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/2 tsp nutmeg
Preheat oven to 425F.
Melt coconut oil in 9-inch ovenproof frying pan. Add blueberries and sauté until a little soft. Remove from heat.
In a bowl, beat together eggs and yoghurt. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and vanilla, and beat until well mixed.
- Pour egg mixture over blueberries.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until frittata is set in center.
- Cut into 6 portions and serve.
Preheat the oven to 400°F.
Peel away the outer layers of the garlic bulb skin, leaving the skins of the individual cloves intact. Using a knife, cut off 1/4 to a 1/2 inch off the top of cloves, exposing the individual cloves of garlic.
Place the garlic heads in a baking pan; muffin pans work well for this purpose. Drizzle a couple teaspoons of olive oil over each head, using your fingers to make sure the garlic head is well coated. Cover with aluminum foil. Bake at 400°F for 30-35 minutes, or until the cloves feel soft when pressed.
Allow the garlic to cool enough so you can touch it without burning yourself. Use a small small knife cut the skin slightly around each clove. Use a cocktail fork or your fingers to pull or squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins.
Blueberries and Blue Cheese on Endive Leaves
-1 cup B.C. blueberries – fresh or frozen
-1 tbsp roasted garlic, see above(approx. 6 cloves)
-1 tsp balsamic vinegar
-2 tsp maple syrup
-½ tsp black pepper – fresh, ground
-½ tsp Salt
-2 tbsp cream cheese (room temperature)
-¼ cup (40 g) Gorgonzola or Cambozola blue cheese
-3 tbsp walnuts , chopped
-3 tbsp blueberries – fresh
– endive leaves, washed and seperated
• 1 tbsp chives – fresh, sliced (optional)
1. In a medium saucepan, over a low heat, simmer the blueberries, roasted garlic, balsamic and maple syrup for approximately 10-15 minutes until cooked and most of the liquid is evaporated. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a food processor or blender, puree the blueberry mixture with the cream cheese. Chill in the refrigerator for a minimum 1-2 hours until thickened.
3. Spread approx 1 teaspoon of blueberry mixture on each leaf. Top with a slice of the blue cheese and sprinkle with a few chopped walnuts, a fresh blueberry and a sprig of chive.
Blueberry Spinach Salad with Hot Bacon Dressing
4 slices bacon
1 cup chopped red onion
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoons cornstarch
6 ounces (about 8 cups) baby spinach
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup blue cheese crumbles
4 (6 ounces each) boneless, skinless chicken breasts,
cooked and sliced
In a skillet, over medium heat, sauté bacon until crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove bacon and crumble; set aside. Add onion to drippings in skillet; cook, stirring, until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add maple syrup, vinegar, 1/3-cup water, salt and pepper; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes. In a small cup, combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water; add to simmering liquid, stirring rapidly; continue cooking until dressing is thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss spinach and warm dressing. On four large plates, evenly divide spinach; sprinkle each with 1/2 cup blueberries, 1/4 cup tomatoes, 1/4 cup cheese crumbles,1 tablespoon reserved bacon, and 1 chicken breast. Serve immediately.
Lemon Blueberry and Chicken Salad
-2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries, divided
-3/4 cup yoghurt. with 1/2 freshly squeezed lemon
-3 tablespoons mayonnaise
-1 teaspoon salt
-2 cups cubed cooked chicken breasts
-1/2 cup sliced green onions
-1/2 cup diced sweet red bell pepper
-8 cups baby spinach, washed
In a medium-sized bowl, combine yoghurt, mayonnaise and salt. Add the remaining blueberries, chicken, green onions and bell pepper; mix gently. Cover and refrigerate to let flavors blend, at least 30 minutes. Serve over baby spinach leaves.
Yield: 4 portions (about 5 cups)
Crustless Low Carb Blueberry Cheese Cake
8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
8 oz yoghurt
3/4 cup blueberries
1/4 cup Maple Syrup
In a bowl mix yoghurt with maple syrup. Blend in cream cheese whip until smooth. With a spoon gently add frozen blueberries. Spoon into dessert cups. Enjoy.
There you have it! 12 new recipes, and we haven’t even discussed this weeks Super Food: Garlic, which is the main ingredient in tomorrows Sunday Quickie. The reason for the barrage of recipes is due to the fact that there has been a tremendous response so far to the recipes that have been rolled out, so it was time to step up our game and get a good amount to you so that you’re covered for a while. I’ll come clean with you all while I’m at it – the majority of these are courtesy of Mrs. Toronto ([twitter-follow screen_name=’MrsToronto1′]), who is heading up the recipe department – as of now. Having to make food to my dietary specifications for years has honed her abilities as a muscle and fat loss food expert. There will be more of these delicious recipes every week of course. So keep it locked here, and I look forward to seeing you here again tomorrow,
All the information contained within these World Wide Web Pages is Copyright MattToronto.com